Saturday, March 1, 2008

Casa Mila (and Deanna)

Thursday marked the last day of classes before Springbreak (hurray!!! parents coming!). We had been working tirelessly on our final project- a set of rendered boards of a site in which we articulated history, site analysis and transformation (an experiment in altering the space). Josh's hand was about to fall off thanks to his dedication to shading the boards and I knew a little too much about the area. Nick was ready to head off and away from Josh and I, especially since we argued about layout and content until the last possible minute. Our jury for the project was scheduled for Thursday, but because of problems with locating jurors, we moved the jury to the Monday after Springbreak. Promptly at 5 pm that day we pinned up our work and wanted to walk away to enjoy our time off. Unfortunately we endured a "Debbie-downer" lecture about performance and our ability to perform well, but our continual acceptance of delivering mediocre work. Frustrating way to start off the break, but such things happen.

I was instantly uplifted when I realized Deanna and her boyfriend Sean were set to arrive in Barcelona that evening. Most of my roommates were leaving for Greece and when they were busy packing, I tided up and napped. Deanna and Sean arrived around midnight, buzzing up I see their faces in grayscale and my excitement rises. I open the door and wait.....and wait...and wait...and finally!!! (our elevator is a bit slower than what I'm used to in the US) Deanna and Sean are opening the gate and I'm eagerly hugging Deanna like I hadn't seen her in years- even though it had been less than a week.

Sean had studied in Barcelona with the architecture program a few years ago, so we were on a mission to convince Deanna of Barcelona's superiority over most European cities (including Rome- where she studies). We went out that night and walked down to the water, talking and laughing, while we pointed out landmarks and great places to eat. They were pretty tired so we headed back to the apartment to say good-bye to my roommates who were on their way out the door.

Deanna and I before walking around BCN

The next day we waited around for Rafa to show up (one of Sean's friends who works in Madrid). Unfortunately, we got the dates wrong. After figuring that all out, I went to studio to catch up on work and plan some last minute details for my parents, while Sean and De went out into the city.

Saturday we met up with Rafa, and the four of us toured the city. We visited Casa Mila, one of Gaudi's famous structures. Built on the Passeig de Gracia (Barcelona's 5th Ave), Casa Mila is an upscale apartment building, which now stands as a museum and symbol of the city. His use of light and air, combined with organic structures and curves is beautiful.


Sean, Rafa, and Dede on a Stairway in the Casa


Gaudi also designed furniture

Funicular model of structure in the museum


On top of the roof at Casa Mila

Looking at my watch, I realized I had to go grab the bus to the airport to meet the folks. I was to meet up with everyone the following day, since I'd be busy with the parents. I departed the casa and my friends and headed to meet my parents!!!

No comments: