Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mas fiestas, No siestas!

That's our studio's new slogan. Translated it means "More parties, no napping!" I think its appropriate :)

When I last left you....it was friday night and Hawra and I had just left our new multicultural friends after a fabulous dinner. We walked back home and gave a Spaniard directions (hooray! we know the city :). Shortly after we arrived home to nos apartmento, the rest of the ladies came home from dinner out with Jessie's dad, who was in town. After our long night out on Thursday, and the good food we had eaten, we just crashed.

Saturday, during the day, Hawra and I worked on out derive project for Christy's sketching class. Oh- and my voice was almost back to normal! Nothing exciting happened until that night when we all went out to the Black Sheep, a large bar that is set underground. It was really interesting. We split a couple of pitchers and mingled. We made friend's with a group of teens from Paraguay, one of which was celebrating his 19th birthday. Sebastian, the birthday boy, and his friends joined our group and we talked and laughed until the bar closed at 3. I went with Grand Via back to their apartment and hung out until sleep overcame me and I crashed in one of their extra beds.

Sunday was low-key. Kristin Clancey and I went to a cafe around the corner and ordered delish hamburgers. The owner of the restaurant was very sweet to us because we were having obvious language problems with the waiter seating us. I'm now a big fan of the sweet older gentleman.

I went back to my apartment and then met up with Hawra to finish some more of our project, as well as finish my studio work and Spanish. Real exciting night of homework.

Monday continued our classes, which I adore in comparison with the States. All our classes work with each other and relate to one another. It's nice because what we learn in History enhances our understanding of our studio project.

I arrived in studio in the early afternoon to discover an "early birthday present," as my classmates called it. My laptop!!!!! Hooray! The short side of the story (do I ever tell a short story?) is:

I dropped off my laptop to Firedog in Circuit City before Christmas for repairs. I worked with a very nice, but slightly confused employee named Juan. I told him it was probably my powerboard since the battery and the powercord refused to play nice together. 45 minutes later he confirmed what I had already told him. He also said they'd be able to do the repairs in-house and I could pick it up in 3 days.

It was Christmastime so it wasn't until the day after New Years that I realized I hadn't gotten my computer. I gave them a call and they told me they had to ship it out and I'd be able to pick it up at the end of the week. Slightly peeved that they hadn't called me, but understanding of the holidays, I waited until Saturday to go collect my baby.

Poor Kevin. He had to relay the news that whoever had told me that my computer had been shipped out....was lying! They didn't have the boxes to ship out so my computer was still chilling in the store, waiting for a box. I was furious. I had been uninformed, then misinformed, and now I wanted to deform something. I was leaving in less than a week and a computer is a must for our work. Plus shipping is an arm-and-a-leg. I apologized to Kevin because I wasn't mad at HIM just his incompetent co-workers.

I went back everyday between Monday and Thursday (the day my plane left) to make sure...in person...that they had shipped my package, received my package, would ship my package back. They knew my face well, but no matter what helpful Joe tried, I wasn't getting my laptop back until after I had left the country. Luckily I work for Fedex, so my shipping is largely discounted, but still! Idiots.

To summarize- I was sooo excited that my computer came in. Plus my mom had shipped some spices, guidebooks I had forgotten, and kool-aid (oh YEa!). After embracing my box for a beautiful moment I regained reality and did some work.

We had a short studio, 3-5 in comparison with Wednesdays and Thursday when it goes 3-7, and then our history/theory lecture with Cece. In studio we talked about the urban cities we had created and critiqued each other so that our next iteration would improve. Cece hates giving lectures and was surprised to find us taking notes and "not snoring." The topic was interesting as we discussed the boom of cities and the problems with urban planning. The day went quickly enough and then Hawra and I went grocery shopping for our meal for the evening.

It's interesting to shop everyday for the fresh ingredients for the meal, but the results are wonderful. We've been eating fresh baked bread and olive oil, bruschetta, lemon facile, vodka penne, sausage and peppers....its all soooo goood. And of course gelato for dessert on occasion.

After dinner, all my classmates headed over to studio to finish up their derive projects for Christy's class. There was some sketchy guy outside of our studio. He meant no harm, but we still went back home in a group.

Tuesday we woke a little earlier than usual, so we could finish gluing our pieces on our project. Everybody's projects looked very different. We all pinned up and explained our graphic presentation in relationship to our drifting journey.

Hawra's and mine is the 3rd from the left on the bottom

The review actually went really well for Hawra and I because we understood the idea of passing through zones as we drifting through the city. Plus our graphic representation read well. Made us happy :)

I worked on my computer non-stop until spanish....


And now i'm going to cook dinner xoxo


No comments: